I recently wanted to shift to a UTF-8 locale, because I wanted to play with stuff like writing in Arabic, and because it seems to be the road forward.
So I switched and GNU Emacs starts to enter garbage in my buffers. I type “
Ã¦Ã¸åÃ†Ã˜Ã… éÃÂ€“, but Emacs gives me “
ÃƒÂ¦ÃƒÂ¸ÃƒÂ¥ÃƒÃƒÃƒ ÃƒÂ©ÃƒÂÃ¢Â¬“. Ever so slightly less useful, and less readable too.
I tried fiddling with “Options | Mule | Language Environments” and “Options | Mule | Set Coding System”, but to no avail.
Somewhat deluded I gave up and went back to Latin 1, mostly at least. Every once in a while I tried again, and one day I stumbled over a reference to the Emacs file
etc/PROBLEMS, a section on problems with UTF-8 support in GNU Emacs. Unfortunately the section was gone from my copy, but I found it on the net.
The solution to all my problems: add the following lines to
(setq locale-coding-system 'utf-8) (set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8) (set-keyboard-coding-system 'utf-8) (set-selection-coding-system 'utf-8) (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)
The problem went away and haven’t been seen since.
BTW, I’m using GNU Emacs 21.3.1, installed from Debian testing and unstable (tried them both).
Awesome. Thanks. works also for french keyboards 🙂
That’s it… thanks a lot.
nearly works : except when i type stuff like “î” (or any compose char). This locks emacs. Looks like “î” is interpreted as a command as it’s displayed in the status bar …
For Google indexing:
This page explains how to solve the problem of pasting accents and accented characters from emacs to mozilla firefox.
How to paste accents from emacs to firefox.
Comment copier-coller des accents de emacs vers firefox.
Wie man Umlauts von emacs zum firefox pasted.
Got it working after some trouble – turns out I had (standard-display-european t) in my .emacs which needed removing.
This solved problems with UTF-8 characters in Emacs term and ansi-term.
Tio solvis problemojn pri UTF-8-literoj en
Emakso-term kaj ansi-term.
I just tried this in Emacs in Windows. And it looks like it thinks that every ÆØÅ is a command now. I made a clean _emacs file. So unless there is something else I don’t know it is loading in Windows, then it should have been pretty stright forward, but no..:(
I experienced the same problem as Østlund and found that if I just removed the (set-keyboard-coding-system ‘utf-8) line, everything works like a charm.
Thanks for the help – would never have known where to start by myself!
Thank you. Same problem with Swedish äåö in emacs on Debian, must have utf-8. Killed two days for that. Now it seems to work. Thanks for sharing info!